Friday 15 November 2013

TWC Session 12 (Week 13)

Last session of Technology & World Change, while typing this blogpost I am already missing my group mates!!!! They are the best- productive, efficient, fun!!! Well, today 5 groups presented on their chosen topics. Each of them has their style, very original, engaging.

Mind-Controlled Prosthetics
First group presented on mind-controlled prosthetics. I was fascinated with the history of prosthetics- about the Persian soldiers story and that because of war, prosthetics limbs were originated. Also, the interesting examples, specifically the Michelangelo arm that was described briefly.
They have a very innovative approach on presenting their proposal incorporating mini-skits. Thumbs up!
And an interesting quote that really caught my attention that mind-controlled prosthetics can also be known as “Over-glorified wooden legs”, which I think is very true, they are just artificial legs but they can do so much, much better than normal human legs.
Transhumanism
Similar to the previous group, but this group focused more on what will be post-human age/evolution.
Fascinated by the technical specifications of Flex Foot Cheetah that increases functionality of legs, increases running efficiency etc and it is used by 2012 Olympian, Oscar Pistorius.
GMO Food
This group started with a very good skit to get us into their focus of the website, and Xindi looking good in my jumpsuit while Chandan looks hilarious as a farmer.
They have touched on a very interesting and insightful topic because I could relate it to my individual paper that is on GM Rice, some of the points they have touched on I felt, I should have included in my paper. 
Interesting example: the In-vitro meat that uses stem cell to grow meat in labs which I initially wanted to write on for my individual paper but I changed it as it is covered by another peer.
Sexual Advertisements 
Before this presentation, I heard that this group is going to present on sexual advertisements and after looking at their website, I felt where was the link to TWC. I looked forward to the presentation for their explanation and they explained that they are actually presenting on the use of technology (the know how) on sexual adverts. 

Again I was the history caught my attention,and I gained a new knowledge that actually adverts are derived from lithographs, carvings etc. 

After the whole presentation, I am still not convinced with the link, but overall, I can see that they did well with the presentation and trying to go on another perspective with the topic.

Virtual Reality

Finally, my group's turn to present, to end things off with a blast. We definitely enjoyed the whole presentation, well some technical problems again that affected the presentation, with the live demonstrations and the super simple introduction of virtual reality at the start, I thought we managed to engage everyone though it has been a long day. Also, I felt Weiyang's suggestion on one of our page can be considered, thanks!

Overall, I rate this session 10/10, everyone presented like they have never presented before and the TA, Victor, no doubt the best TA I have met so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment